The Calgary Outdoor Swimming Pools Association (COSPA) manages eight outdoor swimming pools on behalf of The City of Calgary for use by Calgarians during the summer. The eight pools are Bowview, Forest Lawn, Highwood, Millican Ogden, Mount Pleasant, Silver Springs, South Calgary and Stanley Park.
History of COSPA
Early in 2003, The City of Calgary Administration, in response to challenges to its operating budget, proposed the closure of four outdoor pools. The community associations involved in running these pools and the public strenuously objected to the plan. The basic premise for the objection was that all outdoor pools were a much-valued asset that enhanced the quality of life in Calgary and particularly those communities that had an outdoor pool. City Council listened to the communities and public and granted a two-year moratorium on the closures of any outdoor pool.
The alternative plan eventually became known as the Calgary Outdoor Swimming Pools Association (COSPA). In December 2004, COSPA incorporated under the Societies Act of Alberta. After more than two years of hard work by very dedicated volunteers, in January 2005, Calgary City Council approved the formation of COSPA and the City’s contribution of funds toward COSPA’s operation and management of the seven outdoor pools, and consequently signed a 15-year Management Agreement between The City of Calgary and COSPA.
COSPA formally took over the management and long-term maintenance of the following eight outdoor swimming pools:
- Bowview – 1910 6th Avenue NW
- Forest Lawn – 1706 39th Street SE
- Highwood – 25 Holmwood Avenue NW
- Millican Ogden Pool – 2094 69th Avenue SE
- Mount Pleasant – 2310 6th Street NW
- Silver Springs – 5720 Silver Ridge Dr. NW
- South Calgary – 3130 16th Street SW
- Stanley Park – 4011 1A Street SW
COSPA Board of Directors 2021 – 2022
- President – Margie Fast
- Vice President – Victoria Person
- Past – President – (vacant)
- Treasurer – Kathleen Olivotto
- Secretary – Johnny Hammill
- Director – Gloria Kelly
- Director – Marion Ketelaars City of Calgary Rep
- Director – Käthe Lemon
- Director – Rita McMillian
- Director – Clara Peyre
- Director – Osama Shaheen
Executive Director – Jenny Jensen
Interested in joining the board or volunteering? Contact us today.