School is just around the corner, so let’s end the last few weeks of summer with a splash.
Calgary offers several fantastic outdoor swimming pools that are perfect for kids of all ages to enjoy during the summer months. Our eight outdoor pools have something for every age from swim lessons, to wading pools, splash parks and much more. We have created a quick guide highlighting the best outdoor swimming pools tailored for children in Calgary along with tips on how you can make the most of your trip to the pool!
Bowview Outdoor Pool:
- Offers a zero-entry wading pool as well as a delightful mushroom fountain perfect for kids to splash and play
- Water slide and diving board for older children.
- Picnic area and grassy spaces for picnicking and lounging.
Stanley Park Outdoor Pool:
- A heated pool with a shallow area suitable for kids.
- Water features and spray toys for added fun.
- Adjacent to Stanley Park, which provides additional recreational opportunities.
Silver Springs Outdoor Pool:
- Features a shallow wading pool with water features.
- Diving boards and a larger pool for older children and adults.
- Spacious deck area with plenty of space for families.
Highwood Outdoor Pool:
- Offers a wading pool for children with gentle water features.
- Lap pool and diving boards for older swimmers.
- Nearby playground and grassy areas.
5 Tips for Maximizing Fun on Your Pool Trip with Kids
- Plan Ahead: Prepare for your pool trip by packing essentials like swimsuits, towels, sunscreen, and snacks. Having everything you need ensures a smoother experience and more quality time in the water. If you are stuck on what to pack, review our top ‘10 Must-Have Essentials for Your Next Pool Trip’ blog.
- Safety First: Prioritize safety by keeping a close watch on your kids at all times. If they’re not strong swimmers, consider using floatation devices or staying in shallow areas. Teach them basic water safety rules as well. All of our eight outdoor pools are manned by certified lifeguards so you can ensure your little ones stay safe while having fun!
- Plan Something Your Family Will Enjoy: Bring pool toys, floaties, and games that are suitable for the pool environment. Playing water games, diving for toys, or even having a mini swimming race can keep kids entertained and active. Don’t forget to check your local pool’s schedule online, here you can find all sorts of fun activities from swim lessons, to lane swim to water workouts, and much more, there is something for everyone in your family.
- Rent a Pool: For those with upcoming special events, consider the unique option of renting out one of our pools. Whether it’s a birthday party, family reunion, or any occasion worth celebrating, having a private pool space adds an extra touch of exclusivity and fun to your gathering. Enjoy the freedom to create a personalized atmosphere, engage in games, and relish quality time with your guests in a setting that’s all your own. For more ideas on how to use a rental pool, read our ‘Four Creative Ways to use a Rental Public Outdoor Pool this Summer’ blog.
- Stay Hydrated and Bring Snacks: Pack a variety of healthy snacks and plenty of water to keep everyone energized throughout pool time. Snack breaks can be a great opportunity to recharge and take a breather from the water. Don’t forget to bring a reusable non-glass water bottle to stay hydrated on hot summer days at Calgary’s outdoor pools. All eight COSPA pools provide water dispensers for refills, making it convenient and eco-friendly.
As summer’s winding down, why not make the most of these last few weeks to make some awesome memories with your family. There are eight outdoor pools all around Calgary waiting for you. It’s the perfect chance to soak up the sun, splash around, and savour every bit of what makes summer special. Check out our online map to find your closest pool. To purchase admission, click on your preferred location and purchase your tickets. We also have tickets on-site if you want to pop in for a spontaneous swim session! For more information about the Calgary Outdoor Swimming Pool Association, visit our website.